Once you have a sense of your priorities, you can think about the specific details. DUXTON Windows & Doors are uniquely manufactured using proprietary fiberglass frames, that enable you to have a huge amount of colour, sizing, and design flexibility.
- Interior colour: What is staying, and what is going? Is the whole house going to get repainted in a more modern colour palette, and you want the industrial look of black windows? Or do you want to keep it simple with a white interior? Do you have wood trim that would be complemented with a tonal colour such as Espresso?
- Interior trim: Do you have a classic wood trim you would like to keep? Or do you want to strip it all off and go with a very simple, flat casing around the windows? Conversely, if you are doing a major renovation that involves new drywall, you can take advantage of a very clean and modern look, finishing the drywall right up to the windows, with no need for any trim.
- Exterior colour: What is staying, and what is going? Espresso, or even a custom colour match is fairly common when the windows need to match the original colour, so they look fresh but not out-of-place. For an update, black is very popular in modern and traditional homes alike.
- Glass: In our northern climate, it is very common to select a Triple Pane Low-E Argon insulating glass unit. Your dealer can offer excellent advice when it comes to tailoring that Low-E coating: is there a west-facing room that always gets too hot? Or a south-facing window that could help heat the home through the winter? A very slight adjustment in the glass make-up can have a huge impact on year-round comfort.
- Grills: You can add major architectural interest with Internal Grills (IGs) in between the glass, or Simulated Divided Lites (SDLs) for the most impact. Traditional styles create tall, narrow boxes, while contemporary styles create more horizontal divisions.
- Sizing changes: Do you want to enlarge any openings? In many cases, the window can be enlarged quite easily, allowing you to get a big beautiful view above the kitchen sink, connect multiple openings facing the yard, or brighten up a dark bedroom.
- Code requirements: It is important to have windows installed that are up to date in code requirements. Your local dealer will be familiar with what is required for egress, in the event that you needed to use exit the bedroom window in an emergency.
Selecting the brand and installer are the last key steps in the process. Some important questions you may want to ask are:
- What is the warranty you offer? How long have you been in business? Both questions are important together, as the company needs to be in business to provide warranty and service support.
- Are your windows tested and code compliant? Are they Energy Star certified?
DUXTON is proudly NFRC certified, Energy Star certified, NAFS tested, and even Living Building Challenge certified. We offer a 20 year limited warranty on the windows, stand behind our warranty, and choose to partner with the best and most experienced installers in each major city.